The parish of Hail Weston contains 1,583 acres. The subsoil is
Oxford Clay. About two-thirds of the land is arable and the
remainder grass, with about 53 acres of woodland. The river Kym,
anciently known as the Hail or Hayle, from which the parish derives
its name, forms the northern and eastern boundary of the
parish. There was an ancient bridge over the river, which is
mentioned in 1377. It was standing in 1798, when it was built of
stone with four arches, but the parapet was ruinous. The
present bridge is modern. There are two springs, which were reputed
to have medicinal qualities, but perhaps derive more fame from the
poem by Michael Drayton, entitled the 'Holy Wells of Hailweston.'
The springs were used for medicinal purposes in the 16th and 17th
centuries, but later fell into disuse. In 1844 they were
sold and are now used by the Hail Weston Springs Co., aerated water
The village lies on the north side of the road from St. Neots to Kimbolton. The church is at the south-east end of the village, which contains several half-timber houses and cottages of the 17th century. The nearest railway station is at St. Neots, three miles away, on the London and North Eastern Railway.
A few Neolithic implements have been found, but greater importance is attached to a bronze statuette of the Romano-British period which was found a few years before 1824.
The parish has always been closely connected with that of Southoe, and though the civil parishes are now separated, ecclesiastically they are still united. The population in 1921 was 265.
Victoria County History - Huntingdonshire Printed 1932